Sunday, October 18, 2009

Luang Prabang

Day 71: Luang Prabang, Laos
Landlocked Laos is one of the Asia's most enchanting destinations. Stunning natural beauty -- think mist-shrouded mountain peaks flanked by jungle-clad valleys teeming with wildlife -- combine with a fascinating Buddhist culture to make Laos a superb destination for backpackers and independent travellers, while luxury tourists are now also well-catered for.
Communist Laos flung open its doors to tourism in the early 1990s. The last decade has witnessed an explosion in development as businesses -- some Lao, some foreign -- mushroom to cater to the swelling crowds.
Laos is changing fast, but pockets remain well off-the-beaten-track, ready to be explored by adventure travellers willing to forego the usual tourist luxuries. Those who want to experience a real taste of rural Southeast Asian life will be delighted.
www.Travelfish.com

So after a hectic 71 days of travel which has covered the Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia I have ticked off most off the to do items on my list and have about 10 days up my sleeve to unwind and take the time to enjoy myself before heading back to Australia. Where better to do this than the Peoples Republic of Laos?
After saying goodbye to Siem Reap I hopped on a plane to Lubang Prabang, situated on the Mekong river and former capital city of Laos. I had only planned to spend one night here but ended up staying for two, the town has a wonderfully relaxed feel to it quite removed from some of the more hectic regions around the place. My minivan didn't arrive for my trip to Vang Vieng so after rebooking a bus for the afternoon I took the time to explore the town a little bit more and am quite glad I did. At the top of the hill which straddles the city there sits a giant buddha stupa which overlooks the town, visible day and night. I climbed to the top of here and found the most amazing view of the town all the way to the mountains. After this I had just enough time for breakfast so I visited the now opening Utopia Bar.The interesting thing about this establishment which overlooks the river is that on the edge of the balcony there is a 10 metre drop, no railing or anything which may stop a inebriated patron from plunging down below. I asked the waiter if anyone had ever fallen from here and he told me that no one had, which would be amazing if it were true. Had my breakfast while enjoying the picturesque view of the river before boarding the cramped minivan for the 6 hour drive to Vang Vien, Luang Prabang was a lovely little diversion and I am now well rested for the final leg of my Asian trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment