Sunday, October 11, 2009

Angkor Wat

Day 61: Siem Reap, Cambodia
So I'm sitting at an internet cafe in Siem Reap waiting for ITunes to download onto this computer so I thought I would take the time to update on what's new.
It's been a day 0f annoying unfortunate events, I found an awesome shop in the town where they download any album/movie/tv show onto your IPod for just 75c a pop so I went in to arrange a few hundred for my collection. Unfortunately I only have a 9GB IPod so I had to arrange to clear some space on my player to fit them in. To make a long story short, you have to do this through ITunes and can't do it on the IPod so I have to download it to a computer then delete them through this program instead.
Which is going to take some time....
Went to the magnificent Angkor Wat yesterday, one of the seven wonders of the world after checking into Globalteers House on Friday afternoon, just in time for the weekend. After a quick orientation around town I have been allocated a role teaching English to the Cambodian Kids all next week, which should be okay as long as I remember to speak slowly.
You know what's funny though is that people always pick up the accent of the person they leaned to speak English through, I can just imagine all these little Cambodian kids with an Ocker accent making their way about town...
Will post again on the whole volunteer thing but after an early night I got up on Saturday morning for the main event around Siem Reap, Angkor Wat.
Had a really cool guide, Fila, who took me to three of the temples in the local area just outside of town. I was almost through with tours after a rubbish one in Bangkok, the chick who was teh guide just translated the plaques alongside the statues before taking us to jewellery shops and the like. The temples are about 20mins outside of Siem reap and accessible by Tuk Tuk. The main one, Angkor Wat (Wat just means buddhist temple) was built in the 12th century by Surayasomethingorother the 7th as a monument to his rule and also a place where he would be buried. Alot of the architecture is based on Indian designs and this was alos a strategy that Suraya used to unite his people, mostly Buddhist but also a large Hindu population as well. Insise the temple I actually saw more Hindu design than Buddhist, perhaps with all these sort of things there is a bit of this and a bit of that so a nods as good as a wink to a blind donkey and all that.
Went into the main strip with a few of the other volunteers in the evening, I think a backpacker ghetto is a backpacker ghetto wherever you go but Cambodia is alot cheaper than alot of places so you can have a great night out for between 10 and 20 dollars US.
Just taking it easy around the guest house today and getting these downloads sorted after a big sleep in today, they are doing a roast so need to get back while there is still some left.

No comments:

Post a Comment