Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Sunblock Massage

Day 3: Thongsala, Koh Phagnan, Thailand

Skin cancer is serious stuff.
On the weekend I was playing footy and got burned to a crisp, despite having applied 35+ sunscreen before playing. Four hours in the sun saw me in absolute agony for the next 3 days, something I am very motivated to avoid in the future.
Which brings me to today's topic. Upon leaving Haad Rin (Koh Phagnan) for Sulat Thani I indulged in a favourite invention of mine whenever I am in Thailand, the sunblock massage.
This simple yet effective activity is both relaxing and health smart, also suprisingly cheap.
The way it works is you need to find a reputable spa where they conduct oil massages, but before the massage starts, instruct your masseuse to use sunscreen lotion instead of regular massage oil. You may encounter some resistance, this may consider this to be an affront to their art, they are, after all, professionals. In the face of all this I urge you to be persistent, they will come to your way of thinking if you stick to your guns.
My lotion of choice is Banana Boat spf50, steer away from the non-greasy formulas, in this case you are looking for a less viscous solution lest the friction created spoil your relaxing experience and consume alot of sunblock which can get very expensive if you consume alot of it.
Sunblock massages have many advantages, firstly, having the lotion massaged into your skin will provide greater absorbal of the lotion and ensure you are covered from head to toe. This will also save you precious time better spent adventuring or bending the elbow, last but not least lets not forget the relaxing and therapeutic benefits of a good rub down.
I have found that the secret to absolute protection comes in the re-application, which should be done within 2-3 hours. This will make you bulletproof against the harsh solar rays.
When I get back to Australia I plan to recruit masseuses and set up sunblock massage franchises along the beaches of the Perth, gradually expanding the enterprise to Sydney, Gold Coast and nationwide.
I expect they will become a massive hit for at least the first season, less so in the second after other operators keen for a piece of the pie enter the market.
The key to this operations viability will be to hit the ground running, get in and get out, blitz the marketplace and get out before the market is saturated...
This will be the key to my success.

No comments:

Post a Comment