Friday, August 28, 2009

Palawan


Day 17: Puerto Princesa, Philippines
Kamusta.
So I haven't posted for a few days, needless to say I am still alive and well, thanks for asking.
Left Manila on Wednesday afternoon bound for Palawan, the wild fronteir region of the Philippines. The unfortunate part of my trip is that I have put myself under considerable pressure as far as the timeline I want to follow, I want to be back in Kuala Lumpur for the Asian Champs AFL tournament on Sat 5th September so need to be back in Manila on in a weeks time. The mistake I have made here is that any travel needs a day set aside for it, once you reach the more remote regions the primary modes of transport are boats and buses, which take considerable time to reach their destination. Overall Manila was hot and cold, I think the Philippines are fantastic but arriving in Manila can be a bit of a letdown and it's not a great example of what the rest of the country has to offer. It's probably why not as many people travel around here, preferring more tourist friendly area like Thailand and Indonesia. Manila gets pretty dodgy after dark as well but as long as you use your common sense you will be very safe, I guess one thing that stands out to me is there are no real pockets of tourist areas like there are in most other countries, even in Ermita and Malate which are the more foreigner friendly areas there are lots of beggars and con-men all around the place.
Took a one hour Cebu Air flight to Puerto Princesa, Palawan and touched down in the evening. The main method of transport here is by trishaw, that is, a motorbike with a covered sidecar attached which can seat two people. Had a look at a couple of guest houses in the town that were mentioned in the guide book but they were all overpriced, a trend I am noticing when visiting a place that has been reviewed in a massively circulated publication. The best way to find the best value (not cheapest) accomodation is by talking to other travellers and the more expensive the place you stay, the less travellers you will meet, as soon as I get to KL it's back to dorm living for me. Had a great meal in a beautiful little restaurant in the town, cheap as chips, first rate and great atmosphere. After that went and watched a local Pinoy show at a bar around the corner, even got the chance to go up and dance on the stage with them, anyone who knows me will understand I love a boogie after a few beers so it was nice to have the opportunity to do so Philippino style.
Next stop is El Nido, an 8 hour bus ride from Puerto Princesa to soak up what has been described as one of the last unspoiled paradises that the world has to offer, they are building an airstrip there now so this probably won't remain the way for much longer. Planning on going out for a couple of dives here then off to Coron for a wreck dive, I can't find a way between Coron and Mindoro so unfortunately that will have to wait until next time I am in the country.
Alamat

No comments:

Post a Comment