Saturday, August 15, 2009

(Delete)

Day 6: Thongsala, Koh Phagnan, Thailand

Well. I was going to name this post 'life is beautiful', because that's how I was feeling before I accidentally deleted some of the best pics I have ever taken and could not retrieve them from the recycle bin on the internet cafe computer.
Bother.
I would describe them but a picture tells a thousand words and I'm not that motivated to sit here all night given that tomorrow is my one day off from training and I have to get up early to catch a bus (will post on this tomorrow).
Will phone it in from here...
I love Koh Phagnan. I just wish I could pronounce it after spending a week here.
Never mind. The residents of this island rock and it's pretty obvious that this is close to paradise on Earth because of the vast number of foreigners that have settled here and opened up some sort of business so they can afford to do so for the term of their natural life.
Not a Thai citizen? No probs. Just cross the border once a month and renew your tourist visa for another 30 days. Good times.
One thing that did bemuse me was the clocks, no clock in Koh Phagnan is set to the correct time.
Up until today this unsettled me, I have always been a subscriber to the Broken Windows philosophy that if the small things are neglected then there will be flaws with the big ticket items.
The reason why the clocks are always out is that every single day there is a power outage for between 30-45minutes, and I mean every single day. Usually when you are asleep. So if you were only here for a few days you would never even know....
This morning I got at 7am and headed to the cafe for my one daily indulgence, a triple esspresso, when it just happened that the power outage was late this day (maybe the clock was out) so the espresso machine was off.
What else to do but read the paper and wait for it to come back on.
The Bangkok Times reported that the British Embassy in Thailand was complaining that many British tourist have been visiting the embassy to complain about such issues as dissatisfaction with their breast implants, how can I discipline their naughty boy and asking for jam making tips.
Juliet Maric, the British Consul pleads with Brits on holidays to 'please use the embassy only if they have a serious problem abroad- maybe you've been involved in an accident, have lost your passport or are a victim of crime- (then) we can help you'.
Sage words indeed Julie.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment