Sunday, September 27, 2009

Good Morning Vietnam

Day 47: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Veet-nam!
Wasn't sure how I was going to like Vietnam, a lot of travellers warn against it but I am having a great time over here and apart from the rip off taxi in from the airport I have nothing but praise for this fair city of Indochina. Will try to recount how I ended up here in 500 words or less because I am really keen to get off the keyboard and back into Saigon for my last night on the town.
Seriously though, I have got to start taking some notes because trying to recollect more than a few days on the road without some form of written assistance makes my brain bleed, if I get some times or dates wrong please extend me some understanding...
Ah yes.
Left Chang Mai on Wednesday afternoon for the beautiful Thai city of Bangkok, which is not actually it's real name, dontcha know? Im back over there on Tuesday before my 2 week sojourn to the monastary so will post again on this wonderful city then. Needless to say, I love the Thailand and have found the Thai people the most friendly, centered and down to earth people I have ever met, it must be some thing in the water over there because everyone is so happy, from the bartenders to the guys digging ditches on the side of the road. I only spent one night in Bangkok (cue music NOW) but found Bangkok as welcoming as all Thai cities I have been in, caught up with a few Malaysian Warriors that are based over there now and had a lovely game of pool and an early night for an early flight the next day.And that's the last time I am booking a flight before 8am.
Was so tired that when I got into Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon) at 10am the next day all I wanted to do was go back to bed, which I promptly did when I checked in at the guest house at the other end of the trip.
Saigon is cheap! Just had a massive diner or bbq pork ribs, ceasar salad and 3 marguaritas for the princely sum of 240,000 dong.
That's about 2 American Dollars (AUS2.50 or MYR7.50).
Not bad.
The main event for Vietnam was the Grand Final day yesterday, which despite a valiant effort the Saints managed to lose, much to the heartbreak of all assembled.
Made it down to the Cage pub for the Vietnam Swans Grand Final day, not so cheap here though at US$50 which only included beer, wine and soft drink but was a great atmosphere to watch the game with all the other Aussie expats. Met heaps of people and after the game went off with a few crew to another place on the other side of town for more drinks, by the time I got home was completely hammered and looked at my watch to see the time...
8pm.
Well that's what happens when you start drinking at 10am in the morning.

I think the Vietnamese found the whole event very confusing...
Still can't get Khe San out of my head, will give it a until Friday before getting professional help.

No comments:

Post a Comment