Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sick In Malaysia

Day 22: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I told you I was sick
-Enscription on headstone of Elmer Hodges, Key West Cemetery
So farewell to the amazing Philippines and hello Malaysia. Again.
Left Coron airport (where you are gently reminded to check your fireams at the counter) for a flight to Manila then Clark airport. On the way passed a campaign poster for a local candidate in the upcoming election which proclaims 'I can't promise aything, but I will do my best'. Lost in translation perhaps. The Cebu air flight to Manila had a really nice touch where they play little games along the way to win gifts, for example if you can produce an expired drivers license you win a Cebu Air mobile phone cover, which I could because my license expired at the end of July and I cant for the life of me meet the requirements for renewing it overseas (not having a residential address does not compute). The flight actually left early, which would have been annoying if you missed it, can't say I have ever come across the situation where a plane leaves early. Stayed in a weird hotel when I got into Manila which boasted a playground room, a underwater room and an incomprehensible 'geometry' room, I ended up checking out of here after about an hour and caught the bus to Angeles City instead (full of hawkers walking up and down the isle which was a nice touch), having an early flight the next day and not wanting to miss my flight. Two hours on the bus, another hour on Jeepneys I was in deepest, darkest Luzon (it was about 1am by now), then all of a sudden turned a corner and there it was, like Las Vegas in the Philippines. Got a good nights rest there then flew to KL the next day and checked in around Bukit Bintang. Went off to help set up The Asian Champs AFL tournament the next day, assembling goal posts and marquees etc and finished up there around 4pm. Got back to the guest house then started feeling very tired, massive headache and fever which stayed that way for the next 24 hours which meant I wasn't able to play in the big game the next day which was a massive disappointment. Alot of people got very nervous when I told them I was unwell, medical masks are huge over here, but if it was h1n1 then I must say it is highly overrated because I still made it out for the afterparty in the evening and am right as rain today.
Anyways, rushing now to get to the final party of the weekend (always rushing!), hopefully will get time to come back and flesh out a few of these posts in the near future but just wanted to get something down while it's fresh.
Jumpa Lagi!

No comments:

Post a Comment